In its full form, RECSO spells the Regional Clean Sea Organisation. As the title clearly indicates, RECSO is an oil industry co-operative organisation functioning on the concept of "mutual aid".
RECSO was officially set up in 1972 by 13 founder members. The oil companies in the region at that time recognized a need for collective response to major oil pollution incidents and thus came together to achieve a common objective - protecting the Gulf's resources from oil pollution.
In addition to arrangements for mutual aid in times of oil spill emergencies, provision was also made for reimbursement of costs incurred by member companies in responding to oil spills originating from another member's installation or facilities.
Today, though the original objective of the organisation - oil spill response through mutual aid - remains the same, the circumstances in which the oil industry operations are conducted these days are significantly different from the conditions that prevailed in the period from 1972 to 1990. It was against this changed background that RECSO has had to expand its activities in a more pro-active direction.
To be the region’s leading organization in achieving oil pollution-free regional seas
To provide its members with the resources, knowledge and skills to prevent, prepare for and effectively respond to oil and associated chemical spills within the RECSO regional seas.
To be the region’s reference authority and consultative body for matters related to sharing best practices and knowledge on offshore oil and associated chemical spills prevention and response.
Response & Mutual Aid
-Effective Mutual Aid Organization (Engage in drills/training, emergency etc.) with Contingency Plans which are unified between members for Tier 2* and Tier 3 support
- Establish a Centre for Communication Incident Coordination (ECC) to ensure early alert and response from members etc.
- Establish satellite bases for response Equipment and Resources
Engage in revenue generating activities (not for profit)
- Organize Conferences and Information Sharing and Training Events
- Establish an Annual Training Plan for RECSO members and associate members
- Seek Sponsorships in activities – Conferences and Other Trade Events
- Develop partnerships and alliances with other stakeholders (Non RECSO Members) and other Organizations
- Leverage on Member Resources for activities
- Centre for knowledge excellence in which the SMEs from the Member Companies can share Expertise, Information and Best Practice
- 28' Nov' 2019
- 17' Oct' 2019